As our newly established nation was beginning to develop and build, NH took a leading role in the incorporation of bridge companies. In December of 1792, a petition was submitted for this important bridge to be built and in 1793 the NH legislatures granted petitioners the exclusive right of building this toll bridge over the Piscataqua River. The subscription of 500 shares was filled at Portsmouth, numerous shares being taken by Bostonian men. The town of Portsmouth subscribed 1000 pounds. “The total bridge was 2,360 feet long and 38-feet wide. Palmer designed and built a main span over the navigable channel of 244 feet. The water at the bridge site was about 52-feet deep, thus requiring major falsework. Prior to this he had the deck resting on the bottom chord of the truss with overhead bracing. At Piscataqua he introduced another tier of timber located near the top of the truss on which the deck was placed and put bracing under the deck. His top chord, in addition to its contribution to the truss, was also the bridge railing. He ordered timbers up to 16 x 18-inches in sections, over 50-feet long with a natural curvature to match the curvature of his three chord members.” – [Timothy Palmer, The Nestor of American Bridge Builders, Griggs.)] In Very Fine condition. An important part of engineering and New England history.