Central Washington Railroad Company
Incorporated in the State of Washington on March 2, 1888, as a wholly owned subsidiary of the Northern Pacific Railroad Company. The organizers were Robert Harris, James B Williams, Thomas F Oakes, James M Buckley, Newman Kline, C B Cole and J H Mitchell Jr. The company was to be capitalized at $1.5 million. The company constructed and operated track extending from Cheney to Connelly, Lakeside, Midway, Four Lakes, Lakewood, Fairchild, Deep Creek, Hite, Reardan, Mondovi and Davenport, 41.40 miles, in 1888-89; Davenport to Almira, 46.10 miles, in 1889, Almira to Coulee City, 31.16 miles, on November 1, 1890, a total of 118.66 miles. The company, that was operated by the Northern Pacific, went into receivership on October 7, 1893. At the foreclosure sale on January 18, 1898, the company was sold to Charles T Barney who conveyed the property to The Washington Central Railway Company, a wholly owned subsidiary of the Northern Pacific Railway Company, on June 1, 1898.Almira was founded in 1889, the place was named Davisine, in honor of Charles C Davis, owner of the site and first merchant in the area. He later sold part of his interest to two men, Odgers and Reed, who wanted to establish a townsite. When Mrs. Davis signed a deed, the two purchasers noticed that her given name was Almira and christened the new town with that designation. Another report states that the name of Mrs. Davis was chosen for the town by the chief engineer of the Northern Pacific Railroad Company when Davis sold them a right-of-way across the property. Later the line was merged into the Northern Pacific and became known as the "Big Bend Line", along with the Connell Northern Railway Company.